Monday, April 30, 2012

Making Some Witch Jar Lights

Few years ago Pumpkin Rot came up with this flicker light using some Ball Mason Jars he named Witch Lights. I always liked the look of them but then saw them in hanging from a tree in October Boy's Deadwood Cemetery video and knew it was time we added some to Shingle Creek Manor.

Belinda agreed, so off to my least favorite store in the world, that has the low low prices but the worst customer service...(I'm pretty sure you can guess). They had their version of Ball Mason jars for about $7 a dozen so I opted for them instead of the more expensive Ball Mason Jars.

The Rot method uses glue on the outside of the jar to give it a muddled frosted effect but the frosted glass spray (about $5) seemed like less work and because we're doing about 36 or more of these less work sounded good. A can of the spray easily did 12 jars with some left over.
Frosted Glass Spray and 12 jars about $12 with the tax. Pretty cheap so far!
 Next we experimented with splattering and dripping some flat black paint around each jar. Most of the tutorials I saw talked about then adding red paint or food coloring for the "bloody" look but I didn't like the results so we went think with more of an earthy-dirty look using brown and green paint.

Splatter the black paint, no artistic talent required. My kind of project!
Finally I picked up some some twine at Home Depot for $6 and we hot glued it around the top and some thinner twine as a handle so it can be hung from the tree branches with a piece of craft wire.

Added a plastic spider for fun but I need to glue his legs down.
 Total cost for each light is $1.50 plus a little paint! Just add a flicker light or tea light candle. Pretty pleased with the results but will probably fine tune the paint splattering and maybe add some details like hanging moss around the top later. They look awesome in the dark with the candle inside. I'll try a video but my camera isn't so good in the dark.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks PP, sometimes it's the simple things that have the best effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! So on my list for Hallowsevie decor!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali! look forward to seeing your personal touches on them!

      Delete
  3. Those are just great Mark. I love how everyone gives them a little different twist to make it there own style. The twine looks really good on the top, and..who can say no to a big old spider? Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look awesome! I'll be filing this idea away for future reference! Thanks for sharing, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your witch jars look fantastic! Love the spider :P

    ReplyDelete